Hello! So I just finished my latest project and I wanted to do a little breakdown so I came up with a few Zbrush tutorials regarding some techniques I used during this cool project 🙂
Hey guys, update!
- redid the cracks on the flying runic stones
- emphasized/sharpened damaged areas and cracks on chains
- minor adjustements to ornaments near interpenetrating meshes
- added debris and pebbles here and there
- added minor surface details
- fixed the resolution issue on spikes
- retopologized the roots and cleaned the meshes to gain resolution and emphasized the veins
- Removed the engraved runes on the stairs
- First pass on the ground. Still has to fix the resolution issue near the major cracks
- Deleted the grass for now. I’m not sure it’s necessary for the bake anyway. Maybe on ground though ? I toyed with custom made toony alpha maps but I’m not happy with the result yet.
I’m approaching the end of the sculpt! The bake is gonna be tough… Can’t wait to start texturing!! I’m little stressed though.
Finished the roots and started to sharpen the rocks. I’ll also intend to sculpt the ground and make cracks where the roots emerge. I think it’ll look cool.
Otherwise I tried a custom IMM with cartoony grass blades but I’m not satisfied at all. I’ll redo them. I have a pretty clear idea of what I want but I’m having trouble finding the correct workflow atm
Sorry for the render too bright/wash out, I’m still trying to figure out what is the best way to show WIP out of Zbrush!
Hello! Forgot to post update#8 two days ago!
The roots are not finished yet. I struggled with the design but I like what I have here. I think I’m gonna add a bit of high frequency details here and there(cracks and wooden wavy thing) on the roots and it will be done.
Cracks, cracks !
Not super fan about the stairs right now. We’ll see if I redo them 🙂
Another update! Resculpted some damage areas and a lot of cracks. I tried to make them bigger and emphasize them.
Two days of speed sculpting/trashing the rest of the shrine. I wanted an overall view of the piece ASAP to see how it reads. Everything is sculpted on layers so I can turn off damage/cracks/ornaments and redo them at will, which I’ll probably do!
I partially like what I have here but I think I seriously need to emphasize some of the details/damage/cracks so it can be read effectively from a certain distance.
Further work on my power shrine 🙂
I started toying with Zbrush and see what kind of magic stones design I would go for. I might try something more cartoony and blocky to check if that’s what I prefer. For now I like B design. I’m taking my time with this project 🙂
And here is some references I gathered
Me again! Moar rawks!!
Tonight I’ve experimented a bit with materials in Unreal Engine 4. Man, I just love this engine! 🙂
Anyway, I wanted to see if I could add some detail texturing that are projected in world space and only appears on the side of the rocks.
So I sculpted a basic striae typed rock and used that sculpt to create tiling albedo/roughness, ao and normal maps. I then proceeded to a create a bi-planar world texture projection in unreal engine 4 and then blended the results with the base maps of the rock material. The result looks quite good to me, I just need to break the pattern a bit here and there with some procedural noise mask and it’ll be good to go 🙂