Unreal Engine Doodles #6

It’s time to stop doodling around and start the real work on this secret project of mine… So here’s is a first weekend spent on locomotion.

Still lacking some start/end transitions and a few bugs in the 4 cardinal blending system but it’s getting there. Everything’s very heavily inspired by Epic’s work on Paragon. I doubt I’d be able to have an end result as good as theirs but we’ll see how far I can push this 😀

Every 4 directions include lean and slope blendspace. Max walkspeed is interpolated depending on the slope and input direction (a bit slower for backward runs). Animations were keyframed by hand in Blender using a custom rig. I got help from some mixamo’s animations (I actually used the dummy figure as well) that I used as a reference material to get the key poses set more quickly and then I reworked the animations.

I don’t like the attitude of the character very much and some motions are weird but it’s enough for prototyping. Next, turning in place, more start/end transitions and more jumping/landing stuff…

Unreal Engine Doodles #4

Coming close to an end on this tallgrass implementation! Yay!

Imho performance is starting to get really really decent considering it’s all blueprint driven. Most of the fps drop comes from overdraw from the unoptimized foggy particles and from recording. I’ll probably nativize some of the code sooner or later to further improve the performance, for now it’s good enough!

The whole foliage interaction system (swapping static foliage instances with interactive BP driven one and running the custom collision simulation on each active BP) cost at most like 0.3/0.4ms on the gamethread which I guess is good enough for a proof of concept. Now I still want to cleanup some of the bleuprints and I’ll actually be able to move on, either doing some art tests on landscapes or work on some AI or other BP related stuff… not sure yet! That being said, I’m super stoked on the result and I am super proud of myself (which is not often!) 🙂

Unreal Engine Doodles #3

Hey! Oh man I wish I had more time to work on personal stuff and upload this blog more often. I’m driven by an immense passion toward UE4 lately and can’t stop thinking about things to try. I’ve spent an entire WE two weeks ago toying with behavior trees and perception and I had a blast. More on this soon!

Anyway I’m still tackling this grass issue. Here is an update. I’m getting close! I’m despawning grass foliage instances and switching to a custom blueprint interactive foliage with a cyan material to see what’s going on. Still bugs and all but it shows great promises.

Cheers!

Unreal Engine Doodles #1

Hey! I’ve been diverging a lot lately about personal projects, tackling many stuff at once. For instance, those last few experiments with Sand Dunes that I posted previously remains unfinished but it’s not forgotten haha. It’s part of a bigger scheme, hopefully. It will make sense later on. Anyway, I was just super excited about my lastest accomplishement with Unreal Engine, one that still wasn’t even working an hour ago. It took me around 40 hours to figure that one out but I’m stoked on the result.

It calculates a wallride trajectory on the fly and offsets it (the offset part was extremely complicated for me, damn!!!)